Keeping your apartment safe is your number one priority when it comes to feeling at home. It comes even more important to have a reliable lock if you have children, pets, elders with diseases like Alziehmer’s, or people with special needs.
Your front door is vulnerable to lock-picking and brute-force from thieves and burglars. Having the best apartment door lock is vital to beef up your door’s security. I have rounded up some of the best locks from simple swing locks to smart high-tech locks for doors for you to choose from.
Let’s take a look…
Table of Contents
- Our Pick
- How Can I Make My Apartment Door More Secure?
- What is the Best Lock for Renters?
- What is the Most Secure Door Lock?
Best Apartment Door Locks
The Kwikset SmartKey Deadbolt is one of the sturdiest single cylinder traditional locking options mentioned in this list. It has an ANSi grade 1 rating, which is usually found only in commercial construction, and is also the highest rating for cylinder locks.
It is used on exterior doors and provides superior security. It is not only great for exterior use, but it can also be used for interior doors even if there’s no locking knob mechanism on the door.
The SmartKey feature lets you rekey your own lock in seconds in 3 easy steps, if the key goes missing. This makes your lock pick-resistant. It’s a little pricier than standard deadbolts, but we think it’s worth the investment. It includes lifetime mechanical and finish warranty.
How it works:
- This traditional style round deadbolt door lock is used where you need keyed entry.
- It has an adjustable latch so that it can fit all kinds of standard doors, which is why, even though it is expensive, it is worth the investment.
Kwikset SmartKey Deadbolt is Suitable for:
It is suitable for people who already have a good locking knob and just need the deadbolt. You save up on the lock and only get the component you need.
- It can be rekeyed in three easy steps.
- Installation of this deadlock is easy, quick, and straightforward. Instructions are included.
- Buying just the deadlock works if you have the knob.
- Someone can rekey your lock if they find the rekeying tool, so that can be risky.
Best Overall Runner-Up
The Addalock Portable Door Lock is also known as the “original portable door lock.” This is one of the easiest locks to be installed and works similar to a door blocker. It helps you get additional security, safety, and privacy in harmony with your existing lock.
It has a metal body and is engraved with the add-A-lock logo. It comes in a red storage puch labeled ‘addalock’ for easy storage and traveling.
You will need to make sure that you have enough space between the door edge and the door frame which is attached with a strike plate. The lock is held in place with the strike plate that you already have. This is why you don’t need to change out the hardware or drill on the lock.
How it works:
- You have to hook the lock onto the striker plate on the frame of the door with the door open.
- Close the door and then set the “key” into its slot.
- To open the door, you have to remove the key and you can easily pull the door open.
Addalock Portable Door Lock is Suitable for:
It is great to travel with because of easy installation and removal, so that you can have additional security when staying over in a motel room, hostel, hotel, student accommodation, or an AirBNB. You can also carry it to a party to lock the bathroom door or when changing in the locker room.
- This lock has a portable design.
- Easy installation makes it suitable for using it in different places.
- It is an affordable option.
- It might not fit all doors.
- The door can be kicked open with less force than what permanent door stoppers would need.
- It can’t be locked from the outside.
Everplus is one of the strongest door locks as it is designed to withstand 800 lbs of force, which makes it 12x stronger than your standard deadbolt against being kicked in.
Although this one needs a bit of hardware installation, it still takes less than 5 minutes. You can use a power screwdriver and a ⅛ inches drill bit for the 8 Screws and 3 Stop metal construction of this door lock.
How it works:
- The spring-loaded design makes it user-friendly and helps in quick locking and unlocking.
- You have to pinch the lock with your thumb and index finger, which means placing your index finger on the top of the lock and your thumb on the bottom of the lock.
- Then all you have to do is slide the lock away from the base plate toward you and you are done. The door is unlocked.
Everplus Home Security Childproof Door Lock is Suitable for:
The mechanism of this door lock is a little difficult for small hands, which is why it is great if you have children. Not only does it act as a child safety lock, but it also prevents intruders from kicking in the door because it is designed to withstand 800 lbs of pressure.
- Children can’t unlock this lock easily.
- The installation is easy if you follow the instructions.
- It can withstand 800 lbs of force.
- It is pick-resistant.
- It can be difficult to handle for people with small hands.
- You will need to use tools for installation, but it can be done easily.
- It can’t be unlocked from outside.
Best Value Runner-Up
The Defender Security Lock works more like a door blocker. It is a small silver door reinforcement lock that is discreet so makes for a sleek inclusion in your home security system. Don’t go on its size, it is designed to withstand 800 lbs of force.
Unlike the other substitutes for chain locks on doors, this lock doesn’t allow the door to be opened even a crack without unlocking. So, it is difficult to be tampered with. It fits most exterior doors, but if your door is snugly fit into its frame then you might need to carve out some space to install the lock.
It is easy to install. All you need is a power screwdriver and a ⅛ inches drill bit. You may need a hammer and chisel, if, like mentioned earlier, your door fits snugly in the door frame. This lock is pick-resistant and acts as a physical barrier against the door being kicked in.
How it works:
- It rests in the slot when it is locked.
- You have to just slide it up and swing it out to unlock it.
Defender Security Lock is Suitable for:
It is a great option for people who need a strong locking mechanism that can withstand brute-force.
- The easy installation is always a plus.
- It can withstand 800 lbs of force.
- It cannot be picked.
- It is affordable.
- It is available in several finishes to suit your needs.
- It has some sharp edges that might need some filling in.
- It is not durable when it is used too frequently.
- You might need to chisel the frame if your door fits snugly into it.
- It cannot be unlocked from the outside.
The U 10308 Prime Line Swing Bar Lock is a locking mechanism that allows the door to be opened slightly so that you can safely view outside or allow ventilation of your house, while maintaining safety.
The installation of this lock is really quick and easy. It is constructed using zinc diecast, which makes it durable. It has a satin nickel finish to give it strength and a sleek look. It is also installed out of reach of children which makes it a child-safe lock so that your child can’t unlock the door on their own.
How it works:
- It works well for hinged swing-in doors.
- The lock has a long and hinged bar that folds over your door when it is closed and then engages with the catch.
U 10308 Prime Line Swing Bar Lock is Suitable for:
This lock is great for motel rooms or for people who always have friends and family visiting. The easy installation lock for the door is preferred by many and requires no maintenance, which makes it easy to use overall. The hinged lock allows you to check who is at the door without having to unlock the door and adds another layer of security.
- It is easy to install and easy to use.
- This foldable hinge lock is stronger than your regular chain locks.
- No maintenance is needed.
- It is not compatible for all types of doors.
- It cannot be locked or unlocked from the outside.
Best Budget Runner-Up
A swing lock is a great way to up the security of your door alongside your knob and deadbolt. Cranach Swing Security Door Lock is a great option that costs very little money and effort. It can withstand 600 lbs of force. It is easy to install and just needs a few screws that are already included.
The thick lock base is durable. It is constructed using high-quality premium solid aluminum alloy, which makes it resistant to dents, rust, and scratches. Not only is it strong, the finish and polish are also top quality. There is also a steel ball positioning that holds the locking arm in place so that it doesn’t swing around. The countersunk hole design makes it elegant.
It has a swing bar that is long and folds over your closed door. You can open the door to check who is at the door without compromising on your safety and your home’s security. It is also great for houses that have children.
How it works:
- The lock is installed at the top of your door frame.
- The steel ball positioning holds the locking arm in place for easy opening and locking.
Cranach Swing Lock Security Door Lock is Suitable for:
Even though this lock feels light, it is strong as still and can provide additional security in case of emergency. It is a better option than a chain lock. You can add it above your knob and deadbolt combo and get a little extra protection.
- It is better and stronger than a chain lock.
- It is available in several finishes.
- It can’t be locked or unlocked from outside.
How Can I Make My Apartment Door More Secure?
Apart from having the best apartment door lock, you can take a few other measures to make sure that your apartment is more secure and you are safe.
Your lock is only going to help if your door is strong in the first place. A weak door will make your house vulnerable to break-ins. Make sure to reinforce your door hinges and use longer screws for extra strength. If you are in a rental and are worried about the flimsy door, raise your concerns to your landlord.
Door and Window Alarms
Door and window alarms are inexpensive security solutions that alert you if someone tries to enter your door or window. I have talked about great options for door alarms, check it out to find one that works for you.
Keeping your outdoors well-lit is important to keep intruders at bay. Low-lit areas are more burglar-friendly as it gives them a cover to break into people’s homes.
What is the Best Lock for Renters?
If you are renting a place, then installing a smart lock might not always be the option. Many landlords don’t allow any drilling or wiring or anything that can be considered a permanent change.
So, if you want to avoid installing any type of security devices then using a simple swing lock or a door lock that is portable might be your best bet. Some simple swing locks require minimal screws.
Kwikset SmartKey Deadbolt is great if you already have a knob and just need a deadbolt. Addalock Portable Door Lock is great for a no-installation quick security option no matter where you go.
You can check with your landlord if you want to install a better swing lock for a door too. Most landlords won’t have a problem with you upping the security, but make sure to get their approval so that you don’t lose money on your deposit.
What is the Most Secure Door Lock?
All the door locks I have discussed in this post serve different purposes. Some work as deadbolts, some work as stronger chain locks, and some are even portable. Here’s the round-up of the best apartment door locks discussed above.
- Best Overall – Kwikset SmartKey Deadbolt
- Best Overall Runner-Up – Addalock Portable Door Lock
- Best Value – Everplus Home Security Childproof Door Lock
- Best Value Runner-Up – Defender Security Lock
- Best Budget – U 10308 Prime Line Swing Bar Lock
- Best Budget Runner-Up – Cranach Swing Security Door Lock
Having the best apartment door lock is key to your door’s security. You don’t have to swipe out your whole deadlock. Most of the options that I have talked about can be used along with your existing lock.
Kwikset SmartKey Deadbolt is a great option for a keyed exterior door. While Addalock Portable Door Lock makes sure that you can carry a lock with you everywhere you go. This portable lock is perfect for travelers and even for people who visit a lot of public places like washrooms and changing rooms.
Everplus Home Security Childproof Door Lock is great to keep the door lock from being unlocked by children and Defender Security Lock is one of the best deadlock options, which doesn’t allow the door to be opened for a few inches.
I even have a few budget options like the U 10308 Prime Line Swing Bar Lock and Cranach Swing Security Door Lock, which even though inexpensive, are good quality and serve the purpose really well.
No matter which one you choose, you are going to get quality and security. Choosing a complete deadlock or swing arm is based on your needs and preference.