A driveway is an important security element that is often ignored by people. The driveway is the entryway to your house when you think about it, so it is important to monitor the movements around your driveway.
Driveway sensors are a great option to monitor your driveway, no matter the style or length of it. You can couple up your driveway sensors with your other security systems to make it a complete security solution with cameras, motion detectors, and security lights.
I have listed out 6 of the best driveway alarms that will alert you if any person, animal, or vehicle approaches your driveway.
Best Driveway Alarm
The Guardline wireless driveway alarm sensor line is one of the most popular and dependable options available in the market when looking for the best driveway alarm. One of the reasons is that this system comes with a range of options and settings that lets you personalize the system.
It is constructed using industrial grade PVC housing with a rubber seal that is weather resistant and also a sunlight protector. You can expand the system with up to 16 sensors or divide your setup into four zones with four sensors in each zone. The sensors can withstand all types of weather elements.
The sensor has an adjustable detection width option which helps you to reduce the triggers that cause false positives. You get to choose from 30 different alert chimes, you have an option to adjust the volume of the alarms, and also have the option to turn the alarm off. You can even assign a different chime to different sensors, which helps make it easier to isolate the triggered sensor.
The distance between the sensor and the receiver can be up to 500 feet. The receiver has a battery backup and a 12-volt relay which allows it to link with more external alarms. The receiver can plug in with the AC adaptor it comes with. It uses four AA batteries that have to be replaced once a year. It comes with a lifetime warranty.
Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm is Suitable for:
This system is very dependable and is perfect for places that experience extremes of different weathers. It can easily detect movement from people, animals, and vehicles while covering a large area and also with minimum false positives.
- This system is very dependable.
- You can choose from 30 different alert chimes and also adjust the volume of the alarm for driveway.
- You can choose different tunes for different sensors.
- The system is expandable with up to 16 sensors or 4 zones with 4 sensors each.
- The sensor can transmit a signal up to 500 feet to the receiver.
- The receiver can plug in with the AC adaptor it comes with and the sensor works on four AA batteries..
- It is very easy to install.
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- It has a limited range.
- It can trigger some false alarms.
- It is expensive.
Best Overall Runner-Up
Mighty Mule Wireless Driveway Alarm uses an electromagnetic sensor buried alongside the driveway that detects mass metal that moves within a 3 to 12 feet radius of the sensor wand.
The sensor is easy to set up and runs on AA batteries. The sensor and receiver have a low-battery detector. Three sensor units can be attached to 1 receiver unit inside. The transmission range is up to 400 feet from the sensor to the receiver.
Because of the sensor that only detects metal, the possibility of false alarms is reduced significantly, so people and animals won’t trigger the alarm. You also get 1 year of warranty and technical support to solve any issues you might have.
Mighty Mule Wireless Driveway Alarm (FM231) is Suitable for:
Because of the electromagnetic sensors, this driveway alarm is great for people who have cars stored long-term, vehicle collectors. If the vehicle moves, that is if someone tries to move the vehicle then the alarm will be set off.
It is also useful for businesses that have a drive-through, so that they are notified whenever a vehicle approaches the drive-through window.
- The sensor is easy to set up.
- Three sensor units can be attached to a single receiver.
- The sensor and receiver run on 2 AA batteries and have a low-battery detector.
- The transmission range is up to 400 feet.
- The electromagnetic sensor only detects metal, so the chances of false alarms being triggered by an animal and person are diminished.
- You get a one-year warranty and also technical support guarantee.
- If a part stops working, then you will have to replace the system because no replacement parts are available.
Htzsafe Solar Driveway Alarm System has an infrared detection range up to 190 feet. The sensor can also send a signal to the receiver that is up to a quarter mile away. This system uses multiple active infrared beams (AIR). This helps reduce the number of false alarms caused by birds, insects, or fallen leaves. Also the number of false alarms caused by bad weather is reduced.
The system comes with a pair of photoelectric beam sensors and also an alarm receiver that is wireless. You get an option to choose from four alarms and chirps. This system is also expandable as you get to connect up to 32 sensors.
The installation of this system is very easy. It is good to go straight from the box. The sensor covers up to 50 feet and it can transmit a signal to the receiver up to half a mile away.
The sensors don’t need batteries or any kind of wiring as they are self-powered by solar energy. A rechargeable lithium-ion battery is charged by the solar power panel on this device, so you don’t have to worry about the battery dying. This is why they can work in any weather, even during rainy days.
Htzsafe Solar Driveway Alarm System is Suitable for:
This solar motion detector is great to use as a perimeter alarm system as it gives an option to string up to 32 sensors. As it uses solar power to work it is also efficient in its installation and working. It’s reliable and less prone to false positives because of the active infrared beams used.
- A rechargeable lithium-ion battery is powered through the solar power panel so your battery doesn’t die.
- The sensor covers up to 50 feet and it can transmit a signal to the receiver up to half a mile away.
- It is an expandable system. You can set up a string of up to 32 different sensors.
- It is waterproof and reliable for all seasons.
- It keeps the possibility of false alarms to a minimum.
- This sensor is very sensitive so it can pick up the sounds of birds, rain, etc. Install them away from plants and trees to not trigger false alarms because of wind movement.
- Because the radar waves are used, the alarm can detect some movement through walls.
- The functioning of solar-powered sensor devices may face some issues in low-sunlight days or at night time.
Best Value Runner-Up
Rodann Electronics Wireless Driveway Alarm System comes with a sensor and a receiver. The unit uses a passive infrared sensor (PIR). This makes the sensor waterproof and makes it remain unaffected by rain, sun, or anything else weather related.
The sensor runs on two AA batteries and needs a 12-volt power supply to work. The receiver can be up to 1,000 feet away and still receive the signal, but the detection range is limited.
The receiver also comes with an 5-digit LED counter display, which not only gives you a warning when the area is compromised, but also keeps a track of how many times the sensor was triggered.
It is expensive, which can be off-putting for many. It is made in the USA and comes with a one-year warranty.
Rodann Electronics Wireless Driveway Alarm System is Suitable for:
This system monitors traffic on any road or driveway, which is why it is great for places that need to keep a count of the vehicles passing by. Examples would be parking lots, city parks, concerts, etc.
- The sensor is weatherproof and can withstand weather elements.
- A 5-digit LCD counter keeps a count of traffic that triggers the sensor.
- It is made in the USA and boasts of quality.
- You get a one-year warranty.
- It can receive a charge from its built-in solar panel or can be plugged directly into a power source.
- You only get 1 sensor and have to purchase more separately.
- The batteries have to be maintained regularly because a low battery can trigger false alarms or miss triggers.
1 By One Wireless Driveway Alarm uses a passive infrared sensor (PIR) so you will be warned whenever anyone or anything comes in the range of the sensor. It is easy to use because of its plug-and-play system, which makes it user-friendly.
The infrared sensor covers up to 25 feet and has a transmission range of up to 300 feet. You can easily add more sensors and receivers to expand the system.
The sensors are waterproof so they can be used in any weather although bad weather might tamper the accuracy of the sensor a little. Usually the system is very reliable and you won’t get many false alerts.
The sensors use 3 AA batteries, but they can also use an AC power adapter, so even if there is a power outage, the units won’t have to be reset. The alarm sound is loud at 100 decibels and you get 3 mode choices to choose from.
1 by One Wireless Driveway Alarm is Suitable for:
This driveway alarm is suitable for homeowners who live in a busy area and would like to be notified of people and vehicles alike. As it is expandable, it is also great for big areas.
- The sensors are waterproof so they work in all weathers.
- The transmission range is up to 300 feet.
- You get customizable alert tones and the alarm sounds at 100 dB.
- It is easy to use because of its plug-and-play system.
- Finding the best location for the sensors can be hit or miss. Some trial and error is expected.
- Because of heavy foot traffic, the sensors may set off easily in the daytime because of high sensitivity, but they work great in the nighttime.
Best Budget Runner-Up
Chamberlain is a well-known driveway alarm company that makes affordable but good quality driveway alert systems. Chamberlain Group CWA2000 Driveway Alert is easy to install and you don’t need any wiring to set it up. It uses passive infrared sensors (PIR) and is waterproof.
You can string up to 20 sensors to cover a larger area. The sensors can detect motion up to 30 feet and can transmit the alert signal up to 500 feet to the receiver. The receiver uses AA batteries or an AC adapter.
You also get to adjust the sensitivity of the sensors. Each unit can be set up with different sound options and light displays which makes it easier to identify the problem area. It comes with a warranty of 1 year.
Chamberlain Group CWA2000 Driveway Alert is Suitable for:
This system is suitable for people who want more than the regular alarm sound alerts. Different alarms and chirps along with lights can help you identify the triggered sensor quickly. This makes it great for bigger areas and also requires minimum upkeep.
- This system is easy to install and comes with an instructional manual.
- The transmission can be received up to 500 feet away.
- This device has an infrared sensor that can detect motion up to 30 feet away.
- It is affordable.
- Multiple sensors being used can confuse the receiver to zone in on the problem sensor.
- The AA batteries used need routine replacement, once every six months.
How Does a Wireless Driveway Alarm Work?
Driveway alarms work with the use of motion sensors. The motion sensors are efficient in alerting you of someone’s presence via the receiver in your home. Both the sensor and receiver come in various styles and different features. Here’s the breakdown of how a wireless driveway alarm works:
- Motion sensors are used to detect the presence of someone and something.
- When a disturbance is picked up you get an alert so that you can check out the area.
- A sensor is installed in your driveway. This is how motion is detected. It then sends a signal to the receiver.
- The receiver is installed in your home, so that you can hear the alarm if something triggers it.
Main Things to Consider
Detection Range: How much area is the sensor going to cover.
Transmission Range: How far can the sensor and receiver be installed without it affecting the seamless signal transmission.
Types of Driveway Sensors
Passive Infrared (PIR)
Passive infrared is one of the commonly used sensors for driveways because it registers heat energy to detect movement. Humans, animals, car engines, anything that radiates heat can be detected. When the heat pattern changes, you will get an alert as the signal is transmitted to the receiver in your home. Guardline uses this sensor.
Active Infrared (AIR)
Active infrared uses a beam of infrared light to detect movement. The sensor consists of 2 parts. The sensor or transmitter transmits a beam of infrared light. When something crosses the path of the beam or interrupts the beam, a signal is sent to the receiver. This creates an alert. Htzsafe uses this sensor.
Electromagnetic or Magnetic Probe
Magnetic probe sensors detect metals but won’t be able to detect humans or animals. The sensor is enclosed in a short PVC pipe. This pipe is buried underground (a few inches deep) and whenever a metal object passes over it, the sensor is triggered.
The sensor or transmitter then sends a signal to the receiver you have at home and an alarm is sounded. This is very reliable, especially if you stay in an area with a lot of animal movement. It will prevent false alarms from sounding frequently. Mighty Mule uses this sensor.
A driveway sensor can make sure that you are alerted of a person, animal, or vehicle before they even reach your house. You can choose from the list mentioned that takes care of options for budget alarms, solar-powered alarms, expandable systems, and many more.